Sunday 29 January 2012

First day of school

Today was one of those unexpected angsty days that mothers dread.  Our first day at school started with lots of bravado and goofing off, but as reality dawned on Kasper entering his new classroom, think 'trying to bath extremely aquaphobic cat'.

I think I had totally underestimated the poor wee mite's ability to understand and anticipate what was ahead and hence he felt woefully unprepared all of a sudden, despite my best attempts. In hindsight it is probably very hard to get a six year old to think of the future besides something tangible, like a quad bike.

Anyway, despite the sick feeling in my stomach, I'm stoked with the school and Kasper's class. You could not have wishes for a friendlier, welcoming, 'together' crowd of people with a quiet, experienced and obiously very kind teacher heading Kasper's roost of 21. The kids were lovely to Kasper and within a millisecond numerous hands shot up volunteering to be his buddy. And they're so well behaved and emotionally obviously very well held by the surroundings, they feel safe and happy there. 'Poor' Hanna never even got a send off from me. The lower school co-ordinator took her to her new class and Hanna popped back just before bell time to say she was fine and glowingly informed me she had already made a friend. No problems there.

So, at 1 pm, I think I'm ready to start my day. Lets hope it gets easier for Kas from here on in. It will. Change just hurts, but you should see what some of these other Christchurch kids have had to deal with. Think stress balls for six year olds, and funny habits developing like shredding paper, stress ticks and anxiety medication for a nine year old. Wouldn't that just break your heart. These things are with me a lot at the moment as I'm starting to meet and talk to people and get involved. It's so different from reading about it, it affects you so much more if someone is looking you straight in the eyes and telling you about it. The written word doesn't show you the facial expression or convey the tone of the voice.

Oops, just felt another earthquake. Welcome to the next 50 years according to Steve!

POSTSCRIPT: 3.00 p.m.  Aforementioned son says school was 'wicked', acted like he'd been there for years, and can't wait to go back tomorrow :).


No comments:

Post a Comment